1. Evaluate your financial situation.
2. Meet with a loan originator to determine the purchase price range for your new home that you are comfortable with and that you qualify for.
3. Get Pre-Approved with your loan originator.
4. Make a list of your wants and needs in your new home.
5. Contact a Realtor to help you research the market where you would like to buy.
6. View houses online that your Realtor has sent you and then drive by any of interest.
7. Have your Realtor schedule appointments to see all of the homes that you are interested in.
8. Make an offer on your new home with the help of your Realtor. Your Realtor will draw up contracts and negotiate on your behalf.
9. After acceptance schedule a home inspection. With the help of your Realtor review the results and address any concerns.
10. Start your mortgage application and get an appraisal scheduled.
11. Start shopping for home owner insurance rates (flood insurance if necessary).
12. With the assistance of your attorney (in the state of NY) the updated documents for your new home (abstract, survey, title) will be reviewed and a close date will be scheduled.
13. Schedule movers and call to transfer utilities into your name.
14. Do a final walk through of your new home with your Realtor prior to close.
15. Ready, set, move and enjoy!